Unlike Arkema's flagship Rilsan® family of polyamide 11 polymers, which are bio based / renewable, the Rilsamid® range of polymers are derived mainly from Butadiene / fossil fuels.
A Famous Polyamide 12 Brand
To complement their world famous Rilsan® polyamide 11 polymers, Arkema is also a major producer of polyamide 12 polymers, marketed under the Rilsamid® name. Rilsamid® PA12 polymers are known for the following performance properties:
- Easy to process in standard equipment (extrusion, injection molding etc.)
- Very lightweight - helps improve fuel economy in cars, trucks, planes; Lighter weight also translates into lower usage rates and cost savings on a volumetric basis
- Excellent noise dampening, elimination of vibrations
- Very good chemical resistance
- Low water absorption - much better dimensional stability than lower polyamides (PA 6 or PA66 for example)
- Outstanding impact properties1 and flexibility - especially at lower temperatures
- Outstanding abrasion resistance2
- Tremendous resistance to stress cracking
1,2 Rilsan® PA11 polymers typically demonstrate far better impact and abrasion properties.
Rilsamid® polymers are available globally in a wide range of natural, pigmented, filled, plasticized, or reinforced compounds. Visit our materials database to search for the best grade.
Rilsamid® D Polyamide 612
Rilsamid D polymers demonstrate substantially higher melting temperatures than PA12 and also offer higher flexural and tensile strength. They are not, however as flexible and typically offer reduced levels of chemical resistance.