High-Performance Monolithic & Breathable films
Certain Pebax® polymer grades are inherently breathable when extruded alone or in combination with otherwise non-breathable resins.
Through very careful choice of proprietary polyether block chemistry within the Pebax® polymer backbone, a continuous molecular channel may be achieved that allows physical transport of water vapor molecules while simultaneously blocking any transport of liquid water.
ADVANTAGES OF PEBAX® BREATHABLE FILMSUnlike perforated or microporous films, monolithic films made from Pebax® polymers do not rely on vapor transport through holes or voids (which enables physical transport in both directions).
Advantages of monolithic films include:
- Adjustable Moisture Vaport Transmission Rate (MVTR)
- No loss of performance over time (no plugging)
- Good tear resistance
- Excellent virus, liquid & odor barrier
- High water entry pressure
- Free of fluorinated additives
Watch the webinar recording:
Breathable membranes uses by market:
Selecting the right grade:
A COMPLETE PRODUCT OFFERING
There are four grades of Pebax® materials offered for breathable/hydrophilic applications:
- Pebax® 30R51: Bio-based grade with high breathability
- Pebax® MH 1657: Higher melt point, Best in class for solvant cast process
- Pebax® MV 1074: Standard grade with high breathability
- Pebax® MV 3000: Soft touch, Ease of processing, Good adhesion on different substrates by extrusion coating
Each grade is tailored in its performance according to the careful selection by Arkema of the polyether and polyamide blocks in the Pebax® polymer backbone.
Check Technical Datasheets on our Materials Database !
TUNING BREATHABLE PERFORMANCEPermeability performances are also sensitive to environmental conditions:
FOCUS ON: BIO-BASED PERFORMANCE
Pebax® Rnew® 30R51 is 45% bio-based derived from a renewable feedtock: castor beans.
This grade allows en even better permeability with a 30% increase in MVTR compred to the rest of the range.
Looking for technical data?
Search for technical data sheets and even compare grades side-by-side